Darlyng & Co.'s : BIRTH PLAN CHECKLIST FOR YOUR NEW ARRIVAL
The Birth plan is a very effective method for making your pregnancy and childbirth comfortable. It is a document that informs your medical team about your preferences in the matter of labor and pregnancy. As the baby birth is all about the mother so your choices and decisions matter the most. You should also inform your family members about your wish list. But you should keep in mind that medical staff can do some variations according to your health situation during labor.
- I want my labor to occur naturally.
- I would like to let my water break by itself
- I would like the proper light in the room.
- I want my labor to occur in the quiet room.
- I would prefer to stay at home as far as possible.
- I would like to be in my own clothes for as much time as possible.
- I would not like my pubic hair to be shaved.
- I would like to donate the cord blood of baby.
- I want my fetal monitoring to be intermittent rather than continuous.
- I would like to eat and drink on my own during labor.
- I would like to get instructions about pushing during labor (hiring a midwife may be best)
- I do not want an IV line during labor.
- I would prefer to get up and walk some time (restricted in most hospital, birthing center often times allows this)
I would prefer the following people to be present at the birth of my child:
I want my labor pain to be managed with the help of following facilities:
- Dim light
- Epidural procedure
I would prefer my delivery to be at a:
- Birthing pool
- Birthing chair
- Birthing stool
- Delivery bed
I would prefer to adopt the positions below:
- Hands and knees
- Do what seems right
Duties of partner:
I want my partner to do the following:
- I would like my baby to be caught by my partner at birth
- I want my partner to cut the umbilical cord
- I want my partner to weigh and measure my baby
- I would like to avoid the episiotomy done at routine
- I would like to watch the birth of my baby with mirror
- I want to hold my baby soon after birth
- I would like to breastfeed my baby soon after birth
In the case of a C-section:
- I want the type of spinal anesthesia to be epidural
- I want my partner to be with me during operation
- I want to watch the baby being born
- I want my baby to be held by my partner after birth
- I want the monitoring of my baby to be minimum
- I would like a private room for my stay
- I would prefer my baby to be in the same room by my side
- I want my baby to be given to me only during feeding time
- I would like my partner to be in the same room
- I want my children to visit us soon after birth
- I want to breastfeed my child only
- I want to use both breastfeeding and bottle feeding
- I want to use bottle feeding only
I there is a baby boy:
- I would prefer to get my son circumcised at the same hospital
- I would prefer to get my child circumcised after some time
- I would not like my son to be circumcised
- I would like to check out from hospital soon after delivery
- I would like to check out after 24 hours
- I would like to check out when doctors will feel safe for me to go home
So the above checklist will be of great help both for the parents and the medical team. Obviously, some variations could be there but most of your choices will be preferred.
This is a starter Birth Plan and can be edited to your liking and discretion.
Wishing you a safe and joyous delivery.
This information is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. Neither the Founders of Darlyng & Co., llc, the author nor publisher take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading or following the information contained in this information. The publication of this information does not constitute the practice of medicine, and this information does not replace the advice of your pediatrician or other health care provider. Before undertaking any course of treatment, the reader must seek the advice of their pediatrician or other health care provider
- Darlyng & Co.